1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 pounds ground beef round
2 medium size onions, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and black pepper to taste
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
One 12-ounce package medium-wide egg noodles
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1. In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat, add the beef, breaking it up with a fork, and stir for about 3 minutes. Add the onions, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic, season with salt and pepper, stir well, and continue to cook till the beef and vegetables are slightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and oregano and stir till well blended. Bring to a simmer, cook about 15 minutes, and remove from the heat.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2-quart casserole and set aside.
3. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the noodles according to package directions till just tender and drain.
4. Spoon about half the meat sauce over the bottom of the prepared casserole, spread the noodles evenly over the sauce, and sprinkle half the cheddar over the top. Spoon the remaining sauce over the noodles, then sprinkle the remaining cheddar plus the mozzarella over the top.
5. In a small mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs and melted butter, toss well, scatter the crumbs over the casserole, and bake till lightly brown, about 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.